26 June 2007

Day 0, Part 1: Pre-Trip Information (and grousing)

Technically, this is Day 1 of my trip to Europe since my plane leaves for the first leg of the journey this evening. However, I won't actually arrive in Europe until the morning of the 28th, Brussels time, so I will consider that Day 1. This is merely the day-and-a-half of transit. Too much transit. Flight at 10 p.m. to Atlanta, eight hour lay-over (thrill), followed by a two hour flight to New York, a three hour lay-over, and then the seven-and-a-half hour flight to Brussels. Arrival time in Brussels in approx. 9:30 a.m. on June 28th.

To give me persepctive on all this, I've already set my watch to Brussels time. Right now, it's 7:16 p.m. on the 26th. It's going to be a long time before I get there. Sigh. I like being in other countries, but I don't particularly like travel, especially when it's a marathon like this. And I've never slept well on planes, so I expect to arrive in Brussels extremely tired—right as the city itself is waking up. Caffeine time when I get there...I want to get on their schedule as quick as possible.