It ends up as an easy chart to construct. This is a rare case in a long-running series where the quality declines in direct chronological order: the best film is the first, the worst film is the last. Making a list from best to last is therefore perfunctory, but I’m going to do it anyway, along with a capsule review.
- Alien: Best science-fiction/horror of all time. Still disturbing and terrifying twenty-nine years later.
- Aliens: Full-throttle military action, cool characters, good times.
- Alien3: Gloom and doom, excellent character piece… but hard to digest for some.
- Alien: Resurrection: Good ideas in search of cohesion.
- Alien vs. Predator: Potboiler, better than you might expect.
- Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem: I can’t see anything.