25 October 2008

NaNoWriMo Kick-Off Party!

Tonight I attended my first National Novel Writing Month Kick-Off party, a meeting of people from the L.A. region who, starting November 1st, will attempt to write 50,000 words of a novel in thirty days. The get-together was held at the historic Farmer’s Market in Los Angeles, well-known for years as the place Hollywood screenwriters would gather for lunch and complain about the studios and the producers. A place rich in history for novelists. Today it has gotten increasingly crowded because of The Grove, an outdoor mall catering to the Beverly Hills crowd.

About forty people from the very large L.A. region of NaNoWriMo gathered, ate, and talked about what we’re planning on writing. My table definitely had the fantasy slant. A number of people were interested in seeing my NEO, which gets a lot of promotion through NaNoWriMo.

Here’s a photo of our happy group at our table. I’m on the left, posing with my NEO.