11 February 2009

The Dardos Award

The Dardos Awards, described as: An award given for recognition of cultural, ethical, literary, and personal values transmitted in the form of creative and original writing. This is an intra-blogosphere award that bloggers give to each other as a way of personal tribute and to increase interaction between those of us who engage in this strange form of self-publishing.

I recently received a Dardos nomination from The Lightning Bug’s Lair, for which I’m very honored. Now I have two responsibilities:
  1. Accept the award by posting it on my blog along with the name of the person that has granted the award and a link to his/her blog. (Done)

  2. Pass the award to another five blogs that are worthy of this acknowledgment, remembering to contact each of them to let them know they have been selected for this award. (About to do.)
So here are the five blogs for which I will nominate a Dardos:

The Lightning Bug’s Lair: Perhaps you shouldn’t nominate a blog that already has a Dardos nomination, or in this case, the blog that nominated you in the first place, but I have to. Lightning Bug has the kind of blog that inspires me to be a better blogger. In fact, it was stumbling across the Lair through a Google Blog search for articles about Cornell Woolrich that inspired me to increase the amount of quality blogging reviews I do. So I owe a lot to LB. His blog contains a wonderful array of reviews about exploitation, horror, and cult cinema—the weird stuff you dig up when the average folks in your life aren’t looking. He packs an enormous amount of info into the site, which has a design that fits perfectly with the sorts of movies he reviews. And I’m certain I’ve gotten a lot of extra traffic from his site, so… big heaping piles of gore worth of thanks, LB. You seem like the kind of guy I would like to know in the real world.

BillWardWriter: I felt like nominating the entire Black Gate Blog, but since I’m one of the bloggers on it, I would feel compromised from a conflict-of-interest. So I’m giving a nod to my favorite co-blogger on the site, Bill Ward. I always look forward to his posts, and his own site filled with book reviews reminds me a lot of how I run my own blog.

Slacktivist: Fred Clark runs a progressive politics blog, but although I share his political leanings, that’s not the reason I’ve nominated him. Over the past few years, Fred has taken on a monumental task of literary criticism by doing a page-by-page analysis—or shredding—of those ghastly “Left Behind” novels penned by the Dynamic Duo of Rotten Writing & Reprehensible Morals, Tim LaHaye and Jerry Jenkins. Clark meticulously and studiously tears these books to pieces on every level: literary, religious, historical, political. The continuing series is at turns hilarious (you cannot believe how awful Jenkins’s prose-style is, and he apparently doesn’t believe in second drafts) and then poignant. Clark really does the blogosphere a service with his continuing look at what he aptly calls The Worst Books Ever Written. And there’s no end in sight.

Frankensteinia—The Frankenstein Blog: The name says it all. Any blogger can find enough to write about when it comes to vampires or werewolves. But taking on Frankenstein as the topic for an entire blog… gutsy. And it’s one of the best specific-topic blogs I’ve come across, addressing everything Frankenstein, from the original novel, to comics, cartoons, and music. Digging through the archives here is a blast, and whenever I want to write something about the famous Doctor and his Creation, I do a bit of research here first.

The Comics Curmudgeon: Here’s a blog that has an enormous audience, so Josh certainly doesn’t need my help promoting him. Back in the days of Calvin and Hobbes, The Far Side, and Peanuts, we used to turn to the comics section of the newspaper for a laugh. In these sad days, I turn to Josh’s site to get a laugh watching him dismantle and parody the horrors that pass for the “funnies” these days. Outright the most hilarious blog on the web (if you don’t count The Onion), and it does my Mystery Science Theater 3000-loving heart good to watch Josh tear into Family Circus.

I would have found room somewhere on here for my sister’s blog, but she never updates it! Colleen, you have a new baby boy: would you please put up photos so his uncle here in the U.S. can see what he looks like as he grows up?