23 February 2009

The Land That Time Forgot: The Movie

Two weeks ago, I regaled you with an extremely lengthy Black Gate post about Edgar Rice Burroughs’s classic novel, The Land That Time Forgot. But no discussion of this novel would suffice without a similar discussion of the 1975 movie version. And that, of course, requires another long post. (Hey, I gave you a break last week.)

So, after a depature from Burroughs last Tuesday, I’m back in Caspak with a look at The Land That Time Forgot, starring Doug McClure and a dubbed John McEnery. It was the first of three Burroughs adaptations from the British studio Amicus Productions (they of The House That Dripped Blood and other horror anthologies) and U.S. distributor American International Pictures (they of How to Stuff a Wild Bikini and I Was a Teenage Werewolf), and the best of the three. The other two are At the Earth’s Core and the direct sequel to this film, The People That Time Forgot. I promise to review both in upcoming Black Gate installments.

I have fond memories of watching The Land That Time Forgot as a child, and I still love the film today. And, as a bonus, it features a screenplay from Michael Moorcock and James Cawthorn.

Read the review here.