01 March 2010

Forgive Me, Solomon Kane

Today’s post at Black Gate is something of a confession. I’m going to take you back in my immediate post-college years, back to the mid-‘90s, and discuss one of the screenplays I wrote then. I never talk much about the scripts (six of ‘em) that I wrote between 1995 and 1999, because 1) I’m not a screenwriter—just not my medium; and 2) they aren’t good. They were an apprenticeship, however, and put me onto the path of discovering I was a fantasy/science fiction/young adult novelist. After I wrote the first draft of my first novel in 2000, I knew I had finally found what I really wanted to do as an author.

But, with a Solomon Kane movie now in release in the U.K. and awaiting U.S. distribution, I think it’s time to come out of hiding and admit that in 1996 or so I wrote a Solomon Kane script. It was my third script, following a Western and a romantic comedy. (I can’t believe I wrote a romantic comedy! I did not know myself very well, did I?) I changed some names, but the original intent was to do a Solomon Kane screenplay.

You can hear all about what I did, why I did it, and why I did nothing with it, right here.