So here it is: my story “The Last Refuge of Piyamaradu” will be published in the Rogue Blades Entertainment anthology Roar of the Crowd later this year. It’s a cornucopia of 150,000 words of heroic fantasy based on ancient sporting events, edited by Jason M. Waltz. And you’ll be able to order it through Amazon.com and other fine online retailers.
“The Last Refuge of Piyamaradu” is a story I’ve wanted to write for ages: a tale of the Hittite Empire in the late Bronze Age. Because I have this inexplicable thing about the Hittites. The sporting event is chariot racing, and it happens during an historical event that may have connections to the actual Trojan War. I put a lot of research behind this, and I’m very proud of the results. I hope my readers will enjoy it as well.
Here is the table of contents that Jason has released on the RBE website. This is more or less random order; I have no idea what the eventual order will be, as these things take careful consideration to create the right flow and balance.
- Foreword by Michael Ehart
- “Mbogo Returns” by Milton Davis
- “Carcass and Mallet” by Ty Johnston
- “Race to Dragonhead Rock” by Bill Ward
- “For the Light” by Gustavo Bondoni
- “Spirit of the Maya” by Robert Waters
- “Winter’s Game” Kate Martin
- “The Last Refuge of Piyamaradu” by Ryan Harvey
- “Up the Gladiators!” by David Bischoff
- “Panathenaic” by Bruce Durham
- “Naumachia Magic” by Alva Roberts
- “Hard Crossing at Luhinmov Ford” by Adrian Simmons
- “Love and Revolution” Jeff Draper
- “The Turul Spreads its Wings” by Boglárka Takács
- “Whispers of the Goddess” by David J. West
- “Ulemet’s Wager” by Lyn Perry
- “The Dream Horn” by Howard Andrew Jones
- “Shini-tai” by C.L. Werner
Roar of the Crowd will be published late in the year, post-September some time. Be assured, I’ll keep you up to date with ordering info. Annoyingly so.
I like making banners for my stories: