26 April 2010

Book review: The Sacking of El Dorado

Yes, I know I haven’t posted for a week. For some reason, April is usually a slow time on my blog. I’ve been busy with my short fiction recently, and fallen a bit behind in my blog responsibilities. Usually, I find myself working on whatever I plan to post for Black Gate that week.

And here it is, time to post on Black Gate again. I have not strayed far from my subject matter from last week. Because, actually, it’s the same subject matter: The King of the Pulps, Frederick Faust. A.k.a. Max Brand. A.k.a. eighteen other names. A.k.a. that guy who published thirty million words in his lifetime so they rest of us would feel like incompetent slackers.

Last week I waxed pretty general about Faust. This week, I decided to narrow the focus and review a specific work of his: the short story and novella collection The Sacking of El Dorado, which was published for the first time in 1995 in hardback, and is now available in paperback from Leisure Press. This is a superb gathering of Faust’s early Westerns, all from 1919–1920, and show ingenious plotting and psychological drama against the mythic West that he made his own.

Read the full review here.