28 October 2010

Halloween excuse: The World Fantasy Convention

If you read my blog on a regular basis, you’ll know that I like to post my Halloween costumes as I develop them each year. But you wouldn’t have seen any photos so far in 2010, and that’s because I don’t have a costume this year.

Now why in the world would I skip out on having a Halloween costume? Isn’t this my favorite holiday?

Yes it is, but as I stated earlier this month concerning altered plans for National Novel Writing Month, I’ve also had to shift my Halloween plans. I won’t be in Los Angeles for Halloween weekend, since I’m leaving early tomorrow morning to go to the 2010 World Fantasy Convention in Columbus, Ohio.

This is my first time going to one of the “Big Cons.” I should have started going to conventions much sooner, but most of my SF community friends live spread across the country, and it wasn’t easy (or monetarily feasible) to attend. This year, however, Howard A. Jones at Black Gate convinced me to come out to Columbus as part of the magazine’s contingent.

I’m excited and a bit nervous—this is a major con with a lot of big names and heavy topics. I’ve never been much of a “social writer,” but making friends and contacts in the business is important, so this something of an “open declaration” for me—a small one, but one that matters a great deal to me personally.

I’ll be reading an excerpt from one of my Ahn-Tarqa stories that is slated for Black Gate, “The Sorrowless Thief," (the first Ahn-Tarqa story I finished), on Saturday night around 9:30 p.m. in the Madison Room on the second floor of the Hyatt Regency Hotel. Should you be at the con, please swing by. I’ll also be at the Black Gate table in the Vendor Room on and off during Saturday and Sunday.

I’ll probably go the World Fantasy next year as well, since it will be in San Diego, a three-hour drive south for me.

And, in case you haven’t heard, the next Batman film finally has a title: The Dark Knight Rises. I’m not thrilled about the title, but I’m sure it will not affect the movie’s quality.