02 November 2010

NaNoWriMo Update: Day 2

Whew, the last four days have been a whirlwind, with the World Fantasy Convention bleeding right into National Novel Writing Month. I have written before about how I decided to take a different approach for NaNoWriMo 2010, and I’m already finding the going tougher this year because I’m tackling short stories instead of a full, continuous novel. This means that I can’t plow ahead as freely, since plots need wrapping up and new plots have to start—often in vastly different settings and in different POVs.

The report so far as of Day 2: I’m in the middle of the second story and have reached 7,021 words total. This puts me two days ahead of schedule, and gives me breathing room when I need to plot out some of the upcoming stories.

Day 1 started in Columbus, OH at the end of the convention. I started writing the first story in the hotel bar at the stroke of midnight. The next day, I continued to write in the airport while waiting for my flight from Columbus to Atlanta. That got me to 3,564 words total the first day. I didn’t get any writing done on either flight to Atlanta or Los Angeles, and I was worn out when I got to L.A. I managed to write yesterday’s Black Gate post and then crash on my bed.

Up early-ish today, I ran a few post-vacation errands, and then headed to the Beverly Hills Public Library, where I finished the first story. This means that the entire 4,600-word work was originally typed on my Alphasmart NEO. Man, I love that machine.

Tonight I attended my first Write-In, one of the busiest I’ve seen, at the Novel CafĂ© on Ocean Park in Santa Monica. I started my second story here, and got it up to about 2,400 words while having an iced lattĂ©. (It’s too warm in L.A. right now to drink the hot variety.)
So, over the course of the day, I switched from a first-person contemporary tale set mostly along mid-Wilshire, to a third-person story set in the Hanging Gardens of Babylon during the reign of King Nebuchadnezzar. You can get whiplash from doing this. At least I’m ahead of schedule . . . some of the upcoming stories promise to make life during November even weirder.

More news as it develops.